The Accelerated Schools are free public schools open to all residents of the State of California who are of legal age. The Accelerated Schools are nonsectarian in programs and admission policies. Preference is given to students who live within the boundaries of the Los Angeles Unified School District. The Accelerated Schools do not discriminate against any student on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, gender, or disability.
ACES Enrollment Procedure
TAS WAHS Enrollment Procedure
Preference for Admission
Parents interested in enrolling their child in our schools must complete a Pre-Enrollment Lottery Form and submit it to the main office in order to place their child on our lottery list. Preference for admissions is given to applicants with siblings currently enrolled at The Accelerated Schools. Parents will need to indicate this information on the boxed portion of the Pre-Enrollment Form in order to place their child on the sibling waiting list; NO EXCEPTIONS.
Public Random Lottery
If the number of applicants exceeds the number of openings available in our schools, the remaining openings go to students selected by a public random drawing in accordance with Education Code § 47605 (d)(2). The process for notifying potential students about The Accelerated Schools’ admissions process will begin in January, based on the predicted number of openings for the upcoming school year. If there is a need to conduct a Random Public Lottery, we will do the following:
- Pre-Enrollment applications to be included in the lottery have a submission deadline of the end of February every year
- All students and families on the wait list for The Accelerated Schools are notified by mail to attend an open house and informational meeting. The meeting will focus on the lottery process, school expectations of students and families, and the general make up of student life at The Accelerated Schools. Two separate meetings are scheduled so that families have ample opportunity to attend the informational sessions.
- A letter will be sent to the address provided on the students’ Pre-Enrollment Form advising them of our lottery date, time and location
- All families will be notified by phone or mail of their selection from the wait list. During the lottery process, a secondary wait list will be created from drawn names in the event a selected student declines their seat or cannot be reached by the predetermined deadline
- Public Lotteries will be announced on our school website and throughout the community.
After the openings are filled, The Accelerated Schools continue to randomly select names from the pool of selected students, assigning a wait list number to each student. In the event that a selected student declines their seat at The Accelerated Schools, another student will be selected from the secondary wait list. The Principal and front office staff at each school will maintain a copy of the lottery protocol. This protocol will be available upon request.
- Early January– Identify possible openings for next school year and post public notices with admissions information.
- February and March – Send out notices for admissions informational meetings and lotteries to all wait-listed students. Post public notices with admissions information.
- March and April – Lottery drawing.
- April – Hold enrollment orientations and informational meetings on two separate nights.
- All Year – open enrollment for students to add their name to the school’s waitlist.
Public Notices Posted for Public Random Lottery
Please click the links below to see the latest public lottery notices.
TAS Kindergarten 2015-2016 public lottery notice
TAS TK _ Kinder Lottery 2015-2016 & 2016-2017 public notice Final
Public Lottery Notice_ WAHS 10th-12th grade 2015-2016
WAHS 9th grade lottery 2015-16 public notice
Public Lottery Notice_ TAS 1st-8th grade 2015-2016
New Kindergarten Admission Requirements
Please be advised of new California state law and information regarding admission to Kindergarten:
Per California Education Code Section 48000 (a), schools must admit children who are of legal age. Below we have listed the new age requirements for Kindergarten (please visit the California Department of Education website at http://www.cde.ca.gov for more information):
- A child is eligible for TK if they have their fifth birthday between September 2 and December 2 (inclusive) and each school year thereafter (EC 48000[c]).
- A child is eligible for Kinder if they will be five years of age on or before September 1 (EC Section 48000[a]).
Tdap Requirement for Students Entering 7th Grade
Beginning on July 1, 2012, all students entering, advancing or transferring into 7th grade will need proof of an adolescent whooping cough booster immunization (called “Tdap”) for school in the fall. Students will not be allowed to attend classes without a shot record. A record of the Tdap vaccination must be on file in your child’s school health record. Please read the flyer below for more information.